Friday, January 13, 2012

winter crafts

I've been crocheting quite a bit this winter.  I've made fingerless gloves and owls and hats to sell at my friend Hope's store "A Bit Of Earth," at the Flint Farmers Market. And I've made Christmas presents.

It's made me remember all the presents my Mom and I used to make for Christmas when I was a kid. I remember a whole series of house hold items made from Popsicle sticks and wooden tiles that ran over a period of years. When I was six, we made trivets, seven was napkin holders.  They were much harder, pre-hot glue guns.  All we had was Elmer's.  I wonder if anyone ever used them. I wonder if any of them survived.  I've seen similar things in magazines lately as "retro" projects.  Mom was ahead of her time. 

Then there were all the ornaments. Plaster of Paris, stuffed, needle point, cross stitch.  Wreaths, trimmed with herbs Mom grew, or lamb's ear leaves.  One year we made them out of premade bread stick dough rolled in birdseed. We baked them into the shape of wreaths and put bows to hang them outside on them.

I wonder if the recipients of these gifts enjoyed them as much as I enjoyed making them with my Mom.  She did instill in me a need to make things, and make them personal for people.

Anyway, here are a few of the things I made, for sale, and for presents over the winter.  None of them are as good Popsicle napkin holders, but I'm doing my best.




No comments:

Post a Comment